Santa Barbara's Hidden Gem: The Upham Hotel's Untold Story
Okay, buckle up, buttercups! We're diving headfirst into the Upham Hotel, Santa Barbara's supposed "Hidden Gem," and let me tell you, after spending a few days there, I've got opinions. Forget the polished brochure, this is the real story, warts and all. Prepare for a messy, honest, and hopefully, hilarious take.
Let's Get Real About Accessibility (and, Sigh, the Lack Thereof)…
First things first, accessibility. This is where things get a little, well, complicated. The Upham definitely tries. Elevator? Check. Facilities for Disabled Guests? Technically, also check. But… this ain't a modern, gleaming, accessibility-focused hotel. The grounds… charming, historic, and… uneven. Cobblestone pathways? Beautiful, but not exactly wheelchair-friendly. The "accessibility" of the place depends heavily on which room you get. I’ve heard they’re improving, and I sincerely hope so, because Santa Barbara screams for inclusivity. (Score: 3/5 – Could be MUCH better.)
Food, Glorious Food (and a Few Missteps!)
Okay, food. This is where the Upham mostly shines. Let's break it down:
- Restaurants: Yep, they’ve got 'em! Restaurants. A la carte? You betcha. Breakfast? Oh, the breakfast! The Western breakfast, with those fluffy scrambled eggs and perfectly crisped bacon, was a daily highlight. They also offer an Asian breakfast; I didn't try it, but they seemed enthusiastic about it. Breakfast buffet? No, but honestly, I appreciated the made-to-order approach. Breakfast takeaway service? Handy!
- Coffee/tea in restaurant? Always available, and appreciated. Coffee shop? Not on-site, which is a slight bummer.
- Dining, drinking, and snacking: Room service [24-hour]? Yes, thank goodness. Poolside bar? Technically, sort of. The pool area is lovely, but the bar is more about the vibe than a full-blown cocktail extravaganza. Snack bar? More like, "grab-a-bite" in the main restaurant.
- Bar? Yes. It does a decent job. Happy hour? Definitely get involved!
- Special Diets: They'll try to cater to you! Vegetarian restaurant? Not a separate one, but there are solid vegetarian options. Alternative meal arrangement? Absolutely. Be sure to let them know ahead of time, if that matters to you.
- The Real Deal: The food is generally delicious in the restaurant, with international and Western cuisine options. You are welcome to ask for a salad, or a soup.
The Dining Experience: A Mixed Bag (and a Memorable Anecdote)
Now, let me tell you a story about the (mostly) wonderful dining experience. One evening, I ordered a steak. I like my steak rare, very rare. Like, "still mooing" rare. The server (a lovely, slightly flustered woman named Brenda) smiled and assured me they'd get it right.
And… they almost did. It was close. Let's just say, it was a “medium-rare-leaning-towards-rare” kind of situation. But here’s the thing: Brenda was so genuinely apologetic, and the chef came out to personally apologize (I’m not even sure if I saw him, it may have been a blurry memory), that it was charming. They comped my dessert (delicious chocolate something-or-other), and I left feeling… well, not entirely full, but definitely amused and incredibly, unexpectedly happy. The genuine care was more important than the perfectly cooked steak!
Cleanliness and Safety: Trying Their Best in Crazy Times
Okay, let’s talk COVID precautions. Hand sanitizer everywhere. Staff trained in safety protocol? Yes. Individually-wrapped food options? Mostly. Rooms sanitized between stays? Supposedly. Anti-viral cleaning products? They use them. Daily disinfection in common areas? Definitely saw them doing that. Safe dining setup? Yes. Physical distancing of at least 1 meter? Sometimes a little tough in the restaurant, but they tried. Hygiene certification? Likely. Cashless payment service? Yes. Sanitized kitchen and tableware items? Naturally. Room sanitization opt-out available? Not that I saw. Professional-grade sanitizing services? probably, but didn’t follow up with them. Essential condiments? Delivered. Shared stationery removed? Yes. Not perfect, but they're trying. Doctor/nurse on call? Great. First aid kit? Present and accounted for.
The Rooms: Cozy, Charming, and… Let’s Just Say, “Rustic”
The rooms themselves? Okay, they're the Upham's signature. Non-smoking rooms? Always. Air conditioning? Thank goodness! Air conditioning in public area? also, a plus. They're not sleek and modern. Additional toilet is only available on some of the rooms. They're comfortable and full of amenities:
- Available in all rooms: Additional toilet, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, In-room safe box, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Satellite/cable channels, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.
- Optional: Internet access – wireless, Internet access – LAN, Interconnecting room(s) available, On-demand movies, Scale, Smoke detector, Soundproofing, Socket near the bed,
- Missing: Not many.
Things to Do (or, How to Actually Relax)
Ways to Relax: Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Massage, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]. Let's face it, the Upham is all about chilling out. The Pool with view is wonderful (especially with a cocktail from the (sort of) poolside bar). The Spa is small but effective, and the massage was, chefs kiss. Fitness center? Yup, it's there! Gym/fitness? Kind of a gym. I’m a sucker for a Poolside bar. The Upham has a pretty darn good Poolside bar.
Services and Conveniences: A Mixed Bag of Helpful and… Not So Much
Okay, here’s the breakdown:
- Concierge? Yes, helpful. Doorman? Yep. Luggage storage? Of course. Laundry service? Present and accounted for! Food delivery? Present, and accounted for. Invoice provided? Yes.
- Business facilities: They do have Business facilities, and the Xerox/fax in business center but this is not the place for a big corporate retreat. Meeting/banquet facilities? Yep. Meetings? They host them. Meeting stationery? Likely.
- For the Kids: Babysitting service? Yes. Family/child friendly? Definitely! Kids meal? Yep.
- Services & Conveniences: Cash withdrawal? Nice! Currency exchange? Nope, not that I know of. Dry cleaning? Available! Gift/souvenir shop? A small one, but it does the trick. Car park [free of charge]? Yes! Car park [on-site]? Yes! Car power charging station? Yes! Taxi service? Present. Valet parking? Possibly.
The Vibe: History, Romance, and a Touch of… Faded Grandeur?
The Upham oozes history. It’s a classic, a bit old-fashioned, and definitely a bit… well, faded. It's not the kind of place that pretends to be something it’s not. It's got a certain charm, a quiet elegance, that’s hard to find these days. Couple's room? Seems like it. Proposal spot? Potentially. Room decorations? You're in a charming, historic place. Exterior corridor? No, they have exterior rooms and interior ones.
The "Untold Story" Angle: Less Glamour, More Authenticity
The “untold story” of the Upham? It’s not about glitz. It’s
Escape to Paradise: Khaochan Resort's Unforgettable Phatthalung GetawayOkay, buckle up, Buttercups! This isn't your grandma's travel itinerary. This is more…my-brain-on-vacation-at-the-Upham-Hotel-Santa-Barbara-and-trying-not-to-lose-it itinerary. Prepare for a bumpy ride.
The Upham Hotel, Santa Barbara: My Sanity-Saving Schedule (Maybe)
Day 1: Arrival & the Dreaded Luggage Tango
- 1:00 PM: Land at Santa Barbara Airport (SBA). Ugh, airports. Why are they ALWAYS so soul-sucking? And why does the air smell like stale coffee and existential dread? Okay, breathe. Uber booked (hopefully). Nervous excitement is starting.
- 1:45 PM: Arrive at The Upham Hotel. Oh. My. God. It’s adorable. Seriously, like a miniature English village plopped down in sunny California. Victorian charm oozing from every perfectly manicured shrub. This is going to be tough to mess this up.
- 2:00 PM: Check-in. Immediately, I'm greeted by the kindest woman at the front desk. And a complimentary glass of chilled rosé? Sold. I'd marry this hotel right now if it was legal.
- 2:15 PM: The Luggage…Conundrum. Okay. I swear I packed lighter this time. I lied. The suitcase is a beast. And, I realized, it's on the SECOND floor, No elevator. Grumble, grumble…stairs, nemesis. (Side note: Why do hotels always stick the heaviest bags in the furthest rooms? Is it a test of character?)
- 2:45 PM: Finally, in my room! Aaaah, beautiful. Cozy fire place, perfect! I'm pretty sure I could live here forever. Unpack (mostly). Try to figure out how that fancy coffee machine works without setting the fire alarm off. Success.
- 3:30 PM: Walk-around. This hotel is beautiful. There a lot of details in building. I can't stop looking at them.
- 4:00 PM: First, grab a snack by the pool. It's a gorgeous little spot of water. The world seems to fade away as you sit near.
- 5:00 PM: Explore State Street. So. Many. Boutiques. My credit card is sweating already. Okay, deep breaths. Window shopping only.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner at a highly-rated restaurant (still TBD, dependent on which reservation I can snag). Hoping for something amazing. Praying it doesn't turn out to be a tourist trap with lukewarm food and pretentious waiters.
- 9:00 PM: Attempt to relax with a book in the hotel courtyard. Hopefully, I can avoid getting eaten alive by mosquitos. I hate mosquitos.
Day 2: The Wine Tasting Debacle (and Triumph)
- 9:00 AM: Wake up, feeling optimistic. Sunshine! Coffee! No existential dread (yet!).
- 9:30 AM: Breakfast at the hotel – highly desirable. Fresh fruit, pastries, all that deliciousness. I may have gotten two helpings.
- 10:30 AM: Wine tasting tour! I’m a complete novice, but I'm pretending to be a wine aficionado. I do love the taste of red wine, so there’s that.
- 11:30 AM: The wineries! Each one is beautiful, and full of people, and tastes better than the last.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch somewhere in the vineyards. Perfect. The sun, the wine, the food… This is living, people!
- 2:30 PM: Back at the hotel, time to process all that wine. Nap? Maybe. Walk around again? Sure!
- 5:00 PM: Explore Santa Barbara Zoo. I'm a sucker for zoos. But this one is more like a picnic in the animals' field.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner at the hotel restaurant! I'm so excited.
Day 3: Beach Bliss and the Existential Question of Sand
- 9:00 AM: Sleep in! Bliss. Pure, unadulterated bliss. Okay, need to get myself out of bed somehow.
- 10:30 AM: Visit Butterfly Beach. The ocean is calling. The waves are a mesmerizing force of nature.
- 11:30 AM: Sand, sand everywhere.
- 12:30 PM: Back to the hotel and grab lunch.
- 2:00 PM: A massage. I deserve it. My shoulders are tighter than a drum.
- 4:00 PM: Explore State Street, again. This time, with a little extra cash. See if I can find a treasure.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner at a restaurant near State Street. Might try something new. Or maybe I'll get obsessed with that one place.
Day 4: Departure & Post-Vacation Meltdown
- 9:00 AM: Last breakfast at the hotel. Savoring every bite. Knowing the real world is coming is a little sad.
- 10:00 AM: Check out. Le sigh. Saying goodbye to this place is rough. This place truly feels special.
- 11:00 AM: Head to the Santa Barbara Airport (SBA).
- 11:30 AM: The dreaded airport again! The end is coming now.
- 12:00 PM: Board the plane. Wishing to stay here forever.
Post-Trip Note:
- Expect a full-blown post-vacation meltdown. The transition back to reality is never smooth.
- Start planning the next trip immediately. Because, let's be honest, I need something to look forward to already.
Okay, people, that’s the plan. May the odds be ever in my favor (and may my luggage cooperate). Wish me luck! And if you see me wandering around Santa Barbara looking slightly dazed and muttering about wine, come say hello. I could probably use a friend… or a refill.
Expressotel Napier: NZ's BEST Hotel Deal? You WON'T Believe This!The Upham Hotel: More Than Just Old Bricks (and a Few Ghosts, Maybe?) - Unfiltered FAQ
Okay, spill the tea. What's *really* the story with the Upham Hotel? Is it just a fancy B&B for tourists?
Honey, no. It’s way more than that. Think of it like your eccentric Great Aunt Mildred. Beautiful, a little creaky, full of secrets, and occasionally, *absolutely bonkers*. It's Santa Barbara's oldest hotel, for crying out loud! It's a historical whisper wrapped in ivy. It’s seen everything from horse-drawn carriages to… well, let’s just say I *think* I saw some questionable late-night Uber Eats orders happen. And it’s got character in spades. Think worn floorboards that creak with a life of their own, antique furniture that probably *has* stories to tell (and probably *won't*), and a garden that’s a total oasis. It’s not just a hotel; it’s an experience. And yes, it's luxurious, don't get me wrong... but it's *real* luxury, not that cold, sterile "luxury" you get at some chain hotels.
Is the Upham actually haunted? (Because, you know, old places…)
Oooooh, now we're talking! Look, I'm a skeptic, *mostly*. But… there are whispers, alright? Things like doors inexplicably closing on their own, the faint scent of lavender (or maybe old lady perfume – I couldn't quite place it, but it lingered!), and, and… okay, I’ll tell you. I *swear* I felt a hand on my shoulder once in the library. Nobody. Freaked. Me. Out. I chalked it up to too much rosé at that point, but… still. Another guest swore they saw a Victorian lady in a long dress floating down the hallway. So, are there ghosts? Maybe. Definitely maybe. It adds to the charm! (Mostly. Sometimes I sleep with the lights on.)
The garden looks amazing. Is it as good as it seems in the pictures?
Okay, buckle up, because the garden is a *religion*. Forget the pictures. They do NOT do it justice. It’s a riot of color, a symphony of scents, a complete and utter sanctuary. I spent an afternoon just sitting on a bench, listening to the birds, drinking my tea, and pretending I was a character in a Jane Austen novel. It’s that kind of place. Seriously, the only downside is the intense desire to relocate there permanently and live a life of leisure filled with garden parties and afternoon naps. I almost *missed* my flight. That good.
This sounds a little too perfect… What’s the *bad* side, the downsides?
Alright, alright, let's be real. Nothing's perfect. First, it's not the place for raging party animals. It's quiet. Respectfully quiet. If you are planning on stumbling around the hotel looking for the party, or just being loud in general, you'll be ruining everyone's experience, and getting the side eye. The rooms, while charming, aren't gigantic. Some are smaller, and you might find yourself bumping into stuff. And, let's be honest, driving in Santa Barbara is a nightmare... parking can be challenging. However, it's a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. Besides, you're in Santa Barbara - you can take the shuttle.
Tell me about the staff. Are they pretentious, or are they like, actually *nice*?
This is where the Upham *really* shines. The staff? Not pretentious at all. They're genuinely lovely. Down-to-earth. They seem to *love* the hotel as much as the guests do. They're knowledgeable, accommodating, and they remember your name! (Creepy? Maybe a little. Appreciated? Absolutely.) I had a minor crisis involving a forgotten toothbrush (my own fault, obviously), and they were on it. They saved the day. Plus, they seem to have a great sense of humor. I witnessed a subtle (and hilarious) prank played on a group of particularly demanding guests. Let's just say it involved a lot of rubber chickens and a "missing" reservation. Gold.
What kind of experience should you bring to the Upham? What type of person is it for?
You won't be disappointed if you plan on having a relaxed and peaceful experience at the Upham. This is for couples looking for a romantic weekend or, honestly, for anyone looking to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Solo travelers will find comfort here. The Upham is also a fantastic location for reading a book alone in the garden, or for writers. And, if you're a history buff or just appreciate old-world charm, you'll be in heaven. The Upham offers a lot more than a place to sleep. It is about experiencing the history and charm of Santa Barbara.
The food - tell me *everything* about the breakfast. Is it worth it?
OH. MY. GOD. Breakfast. It. Is. Worth. It. I’m not even a huge breakfast person, but the Upham's breakfast? Changed. My. Life. (Slight exaggeration, but you get the idea.) Fresh pastries, fluffy omelets, amazing coffee… and the setting? You eat in a sun-drenched room, surrounded by beautiful antiques. It’s the perfect way to start the day. I’m still dreaming about their breakfast bread basket. (Don't judge me. I'm not ashamed.) And, I really, really need to figure out their secret to perfectly poached eggs. It's practically a crime how good they are.
Let's get back to the whole "ghost" thing… did you experience anything specific? Spill the tea!
Okay, fine. I'll spill the tea. But promise me you won’t laugh! I stayed in Room 12 (or maybe it was 11… it’s all a blur of lavender and vintage wallpaper). The first night, nothing. Peaceful slumber. Bliss. The second night... things got weird. I woke up to the sound of music. Like, a faint, ethereal piano melody. I sat bolt upright, heart hammering. I looked around. Nothing. The room was dark. The piano, obviously, was long gone. I thought maybe the wind was playing a trick. Maybe I was dreaming it. But it happened again the next night. Same melody! It came from... somewhere. I think it was from the wall. Maybe one of the ghosts played piano in one of the rooms. Now, it's just an old piano by itself... NoStay Finder Review