Hakone's Hidden Gem: 2-Story Showa Retro Home w/ Indoor BBQ!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into Hakone's Hidden Gem: 2-Story Showa Retro Home w/ Indoor BBQ! Forget the perfectly polished travel blogs; this is the real deal, warts and all. I'm talking unfiltered Hakone vibes, people.
Hakone's Hidden Gem: Showa Retro Home - Your Instagram-Worthy Escape (Maybe)
First off, let's get this straight: Accessibility is… well, it's a Japanese experience. Not always the easiest for those with mobility issues. While the site notes "Facilities for disabled guests," and things like an Elevator (bless!), you'll want to REALLY clarify with the property about how "disabled friendly" it really is. I'd call ahead and ask specific questions. Don't just take their word for it. This is Japan, after all, and sometimes understanding the nuances of how things work takes a little… effort.
Cleanliness and Safety: Trying to Breathe Easy
Okay, look. COVID. We ALL think about it. The good news? This place seems to take things seriously. They talk a big game about Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE (thank god), and even Professional-grade sanitizing services. They also mention Room sanitization opt-out available, which I appreciate (give me a break sometimes!). They've got the basics: First aid kit, Doctor/nurse on call, and Staff trained in safety protocol. More reassurance? Sterilizing equipment. Less reassurance? The whole "Safe dining setup." What is safe? I need details to breathe easily. But hey, at least it seems like they're trying. And, well, that’s something…
The Showa Retro Vibe: Where Time Stood Still (Maybe Not Entirely)
Now for the real reason you're considering this place: the Showa Retro theme! Imagine stepping back in time to Japan's mid-20th century. Think vintage charm, maybe a little quirky, and definitely Instagram-worthy. But… and this is a big "but"… some places lean harder into "retro" than others. Room decorations – Hopefully not too retro, you know? I hope the 'retro' isn't synonymous with 'dusty' (I've seen it happen). The description promises a lot. So many details. I'm getting way ahead of myself. I haven't even been there yet!
Rooms: Comfort & Convenience – Fingers Crossed
Inside the rooms, you're hoping for a sanctuary, right? Let’s break down the basics:
Available in all rooms: Air conditioning (essential!), Alarm clock, Bathrobes (yes!), Bathroom phone (…is that a thing?), Bathtub, Blackout curtains (thank the gods!), Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker (YES!), Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping (crucial, especially after a night of indoor BBQ!), Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor (if you get to choose!), In-room safe box, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless (Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! - YES!). Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale (for the post-BBQ guilt, obviously), Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.
Additional perks: Additional toilet sounds useful in a group and Interconnecting room(s) available.
Okay, that's a solid list. A LOT of boxes checked. Still, keep a close eye on the details. "Retro" can sometimes mean a lack of modern conveniences. Be prepared for it to not be perfect.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: BBQ Dreams (and Maybe Regrets)
Here's where this place really shines (or at least promises to). The Indoor BBQ is the star of the show. Imagine grilling up mountains of deliciousness with your friends and family, rain or shine, year-round. This should be the main event, and based on available information, it's likely that this main event will be successful. This is what you came for, right?
Good Stuff: Breakfast in room (snoozing is encouraged), a Bar, Breakfast [buffet], Room service [24-hour], and Restaurants. If they make the BBQ experience easy that will be phenomenal. You need this to work, it's the focal point of the visit.
Be Aware: The description also mentions Alternative meal arrangement. The main focus is on the BBQ, so it's possible the a la carte options will be the afterthoughts. Think about that when you're planning your itinerary. Asian, international, and Western cuisines in the restaurant.
Things to Do (Besides Stuffing Your Face)
Hakone is all about relaxation and scenery. This place sort of acknowledges that but let's be honest, I want a place to fully disconnect. Beyond the BBQ and the room, Hakone is a playground.
- Ways to Relax: Foot bath, Massage, Pool with view (if you're lucky), Sauna, Spa/sauna, Swimming pool, and Swimming pool [outdoor]. If I can just chill in the pool, that's all I really need. Just need to escape… and that's what a hotel should do!
- For those looking to relax: They also offer a Steamroom.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter (And Annoy You)
This is the part where a place either shines and makes you swoon or makes you want to scream into the void.
- Good Vibes: Air conditioning in public area, Cash withdrawal (Concierge). Daily housekeeping, Elevator, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Safety deposit boxes, Smoking area, Terrace, and Wi-Fi for special events, and Xerox/fax in business center.
- Things to Check: Cashless payment service, Contactless check-in/out, Invoice provided, On-site event hosting, Taxi service, and Valet parking.
- The Quirks: Currency exchange and Doorman. They also offer a Gift/souvenir shop.
Getting Around & Parking: The Practicalities
- The Essentials: Airport transfer (if you're fancy), Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, and Taxi service.
- Not So Bad: Valet parking.
For the Kids (If You're Bringing the Little Squids)
- Kid-Friendly Features: Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities.
- The Perks They also offer Kids meal.
My Opinion (and Why YOU Should Book - Maybe)
Okay, here's the deal. This place is a gamble, a potential adventure. It's not a sterile, cookie-cutter hotel. It's likely going to be a mixed bag - some fantastic, some questionable. But the idea of the Showa Retro Home with the Indoor BBQ? That's pure gold.
This COULD be your perfect escape from the mundane. Imagine it: You, your people, a mountain of grilled deliciousness, and a vibe that's both nostalgic and totally unique.
Booking Offer: Your Showa Retro BBQ Bonanza!
To incentivize you to take the plunge, I recommend offering a discount on the room, a free bottle of sake, a complimentary breakfast at the restaurant, or a discount on a massage. Highlight what the booking includes. But most importantly, make sure to follow up with the hotel directly to make sure what is offered in the area.
Final Thoughts:
If you're looking for a perfectly polished, predictable experience, then this might not be for you. But if you're craving something different, something with character, and a whole lotta delicious BBQ, then book it. Embrace the imperfections, the potential quirks, and the chance to step back in time. And let me know how it goes! I'm genuinely curious (and already a little jealous).
Shinta Guesthouse Medan: Your Indonesian Paradise Awaits!Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's travel itinerary. We're talking Hakone, Japan, Showa-era digs, TWO FLOORS, and an INDOOR BBQ. Prepare for a whirlwind of cherry blossoms, misplaced chopsticks, and questionable karaoke skills (probably mine). This is gonna be a messy, honest, and hopefully hilarious journey.
Subject: Hakone Heist (of Delicious Food, Hopefully Not Actual Burglaries)
Dates: October 26th - October 30th (ish. Let's be real, I'm terrible at sticking to schedules.)
The Vibe: Think "Lost in Translation" meets "Anthony Bourdain," but with significantly less suave and a LOT more me accidentally ordering the wrong thing.
Day 1: Arrival – The Ramen Reckoning & Showa Dreams
- Morning (or what passes for morning after that insane pre-trip packing frenzy): Arrive at Narita (NRT). Pray the customs line isn't longer than my patience. Seriously, I'm already dreading the language barrier. I downloaded a translate app, but let's be honest, I'll probably end up accidentally telling the entire airport security about my weird obsession with collecting vintage soy sauce packets.
- Afternoon (Or, more accurately, THE HUNGER GAMES BEGINNING): Train to Hakone-Yumoto. The picture in the brochure showed scenic views, but I was too busy stuffing my face with the pre-packaged onigiri I bought at the airport to really notice. First impressions of the train? CLEAN. Ridiculously, obsessively clean. Which is comforting, I guess, considering my own general state of chaos.
- Late Afternoon/Early Evening: The Showa Fortress - CHECK IN!: Find this two-story Showa-era dream home. Indoor BBQ? Yes, please! I envision myself, grilling exquisite meats, cool wind, and maybe a little bit of "Showa-era" music playing the background. (Okay, maybe not Showa-era. Maybe the Spice Girls.)
- Evening: Ramen. The Great Leveler: Find a local ramen shop. The goal? Eat ALL the ramen. Forget forks, I'm going chopsticks-only. (Famous last words, I can already feel the noodles slapping my face.) Try some gyoza. Pray that I don't accidentally order some weird, unpronounceable dish that involves raw octopus.
Day 2: The Art of Getting Very Lost & Volcanic Adventures
- Morning: Hakone Open-Air Museum (and the existential dread of modern art): Tackle the Hakone Open-Air Museum. See the giant sculptures. Pretend I understand the deep meaning behind them. Secretly take photos for my Instagram, hoping to look cultured and profound.
- Mid-Morning: Hakone Ropeway – The Sulfur Smells & Panoramic Panic: Ride the Hakone Ropeway, hoping not to get vertigo. I'm a sucker for a good view, but I'm also a master of dramatic overreactions. Think of it as a free theater performance, starring Yours Truly. Observe volcanic hot springs and the majestic views. Maybe I will start smoking one day…
- Afternoon: The Ashi Lake Cruise (and the seagulls' judgment): Take a boat on Lake Ashi. Try to feed the seagulls (without getting attacked). Wonder why the sky rarely looks this blue back home.
- Evening: The Karaoke Catastrophe (probably): Embrace the inevitable: karaoke. Find the most obscure J-Pop song I can, then butcher it with all my might. Pray there's a forgiving audience (and plenty of sake).
Day 3: The Valley of the Onsen & Sensory Overload
- Morning: Owakudani Valley – The Black Eggs of Doom (and deliciousness): Visit Owakudani Valley. Brave the sulfurous fumes to try a black egg (boiled in the hot springs). Apparently, it adds seven years to your life. Considering how stressed I will be eating it, that should take it off.
- Afternoon: Onsen Time – Nakedness and Relaxation (or is it just anxiety?): Experience a traditional onsen (hot spring). Okay, public nudity is not exactly my comfort zone. I'm expecting a lot of awkward shuffling and frantic towel-holding, but I'll try to embrace the serenity. Or at least fake it.
- Late Afternoon: The Matcha Latte Pursuit: Find a decent matcha latte. It has to be the matcha. I'm a serious connoisseur (of vaguely green, slightly bitter drinks).
- Evening: BBQ NIGHT (and attempting actual conversation): Unleash that indoor BBQ. Buy a variety of meats and veggies. Maybe try to make friends with the locals.
Day 4: Temples, Trails & Tears (mostly tears):
- Morning: Hike towards the shrines: I'm gonna attempt a hike. Don't laugh. I may or may not be in peak physical condition. This is a chance to get a little closer to nature.
- Afternoon: Tea Ceremony & Cultural Immersion: Experience a traditional tea ceremony. Try to maintain composure while attempting to navigate the complex etiquette. In other words, I will probably spill tea.
- Evening: The Farewell Feast (of Ramen, Probably): One last ramen meal before the big departure. This time, I swear I'm going to memorize the name of my favorite shop. Probably.
Day 5: Departing with a Million Memories (and a suitcase full of souvenirs and regrets)
- Morning: Last-Minute Shopping & Souvenir Scramble: Grab some last-minute souvenirs. Try not to buy anything else that would make my luggage overweight.
- Afternoon: Travel back to Narita, leaving the Showa House and this amazing country behind. Reflect on the trip. Wonder when I can come back.
- Evening: Arrive Home. Post-Trip Depression.
- Post a ton of photos hoping I looked cultured and cool.
- Spend the next month watching the photos while sipping on bad tea and reminiscing.
Important Considerations & Imperfections I'm Embracing:
- Money: Budget? Ha! I'm terrible with money.
- Language Barrier: Expect constant misunderstandings and lots of pointing.
- Jet Lag: Will probably spend the first two days in a zombie-like state.
- Lost in Translation Mishaps: Guaranteeing at least one embarrassing moment per day.
- Packing Overload: I'm a chronic over-packer.
- The Weather: I have no idea what the weather will be like. I'll pack for every season.
- The "Fail" Factor: I do not do perfection. Embrace the chaos. Embrace the mishaps. They make the best stories.
So, there you have it. A travel itinerary that’s less a plan and more a suggestion. Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it. And if you see a lost, bewildered person who can't stop staring at a vending machine, it's probably me. Say hi! (Or maybe just give me a ramen recommendation.)
Unbelievable Jung Pension: Your Incheon Getaway Awaits!Hakone's Hidden Gem: Shōwa Retro Home & Indoor BBQ - Ugh, Where to Even *Start*? A FAQ (Sort Of)
Okay, Seriously, What *Is* This Place Anyway? Beyond the Brochure Words...
Alright, so imagine this: you're stumbling around Hakone, probably still recovering from the crowds at the Owakudani ropeway (seriously, that sulfur *smell*...), and you stumble upon this… thing. This two-story house, straight outta the 1960s. Think faded wallpaper, the kind of lighting that makes you want to squint, and a general feeling like you've accidentally wandered into your cool grandma's house... if your grandma was really into indoor BBQs. It's a time capsule. Not a polished, perfect museum piece – more like a lovingly worn, slightly dusty, and wonderfully eccentric time capsule.
The "official" story? It's a Shōwa-era (1926-1989) house meticulously preserved. The real story? It feels lived-in, loved, and probably seen a few epic parties. And that BBQ… oh, we’ll get to the BBQ. It’s the heart and soul, the messy, wonderful, greasy heart and soul.
Indoor BBQ?! Is That…Safe? And, Like, Hygienic? I'm a Little Skeptical, Okay?
Look, I get it. The idea of grilling indoors in a 60-year-old house might sound, well… alarming. I thought the same thing! But here's the deal: you're dealing with a dedicated, enclosed (and *ventillated*) area. Think of it like a giant, retro kitchen. They've got those industrial-strength exhaust fans going, so the smoke, thankfully, doesn't suffocate you. (Thank god!)
Hygienic? Well, it's not like a sterile operating room! There's a charm to the slight patina of use. But the grill itself is cleaned…I think. And hey, the food, when it's done to perfection, tastes so, so worth it. It's the kind of meal where you decide "I'll worry about clogged arteries *later*." Embrace the potential for grease-splatter – consider it a badge of honor.
Can You Actually Cook Anything Decent on That BBQ? Or Is it Mostly Touristy Hot Dogs?
Okay, confession time: I was initially convinced this would be glorified hot dog central. You know, the kind of tourist trap that promises something special and delivers lukewarm mediocrity. I was SO WRONG.
We brought a ridiculous spread: Wagyu beef (because, Hakone, right?), some plump sausages, veggies... the works. The grill handled it all like a champ. The secret? The *temperature control!* The owners showed us how to manage the coals – it took a *little* practice (okay, a lot), but the result was *heavenly*. Imagine perfectly charred beef, smoky veggies, and the happy sounds of sizzling… It was glorious. I burned a few sausages early on, but still, the experience was 10/10.
The experience is so much more about the cooking *together*. You're not just grilling; you're creating a culinary masterpiece, or at least a half-decent meal, with friends and family. Even if the smoke tries to get in your eyes.
What's the Vibe Like? Is it Crowded? Touristy? Am I Going to Be Surrounded by People Taking Selfies?
Okay, here's the honest truth: it's *becoming* less of a hidden gem. Word is getting out. We went on a weekday - you know, thinking we were clever - and it was still reasonably busy. You *will* probably encounter other people. But the space is designed to handle a crowd. It is not claustrophobic.
The atmosphere? It's…relaxed. There's an air of camaraderie, a shared experience of communal grilling. I had a nice chat with some Japanese tourists on the next table. You feel like you’re part of something. Yes, there are definitely selfies being snapped, but surprisingly, it's not overwhelmingly selfie-obsessed. People are too busy stuffing their faces with delicious food! Plus, it's all indoors, which is amazing if you're there on a rainy day.
It’s not a stuffy Michelin-star restaurant. It’s a warm, welcoming place where you can wear your “I’m on vacation” jeans…and maybe get some BBQ sauce on them.
Do I have to Bring My Own Food? And, Like, What Do I Wear? Dress Code?
Yes, bring your own food! It's part of the fun... and the cost-saving (I guess?). The venue provides pretty much everything else: the grill, utensils, plates, and (thankfully) the exhaust fans. They might have some basic drinks for sale, but I suggest bringing your own. This is Hakone, so take some local beers!
As for what to wear: casual. Seriously. Think comfortable shoes (you'll be standing and moving around), something you don't mind getting a *little* smoky, and an outfit that'll hold up against the potential for food splatters. No need to dress up. Except for maybe a cool apron, if you're feeling fancy. (I wore mine! I was ready to barbecue!)
Is it Worth the Hype? Would You Go Back? Be Honest!
Okay, I'm going to be completely honest: YES. Absolutely, unequivocally, YES.
Look, it's not perfect. It's slightly ramshackle, the furniture's a bit worn, and you might leave smelling faintly of smoke. But it's also charmingly unique, incredibly fun, and the food is *damn* good. It's an experience, not just a meal. It's a memory in the making. And if you *love* BBQ, it's a must do.
Would I go back? In a heartbeat. Actually, I'm already planning my next trip. I'm just hoping I don't burn the sausages again… maybe.
Are There Any Big Downsides? Anything to Beware Of?
Well, beside the obvious (potential for smoke-filled lungs and burnt food), here’s the deal: the bathrooms are… well, let’s just say they're also retro. Don't expect a pristine, modern spa experience. Also, it might take a bit of time to get from the main Hakone tourist areas to the location. Parking can be… interesting. Plan ahead!
Also, and this is important: *book in advance.* Seriously. Don't just show up hoping for a table. You'll be disappointed. And5 Star Stay Find