Uncover the Hidden Gem: The Compasses Inn, Great Waltham's Best-Kept Secret!

The Compasses Inn Great Waltham United Kingdom

The Compasses Inn Great Waltham United Kingdom

Uncover the Hidden Gem: The Compasses Inn, Great Waltham's Best-Kept Secret!

Okay, Buckle Up Buttercups: My Unfiltered Take on "The Compasses Inn," Great Waltham's Allegedly Hidden Gem!

Alright, so this "Hidden Gem" business… I'm here to tell you, if being "hidden" means you need a compass and a bloody GPS to find it, then they're on the money. But hey, adventure, right? Let's dive headfirst, shall we?

(Sound of a deep breath followed by a nervous giggle)

First off, let's address the elephant in the room: Accessibility. The website claims to cater to those with mobility challenges. Claims. I'm not in a wheelchair myself, but I'm always hyper-aware, and based on what I saw, it’s a mixed bag. Some areas looked promising (wide walkways in public areas) but the specific layout of rooms… well, I'd want a detailed briefing before booking for someone with serious mobility issues. Important, very important, to call and check EVERYTHING before you go. Don’t assume. Check. And double-check.

Internet, Internet, Internet! (And the lack of actual LAN…) Okay, so "Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!" is a big WIN. It's 2024, people expect to be connected! The Internet access – wireless was generally decent, but the Internet [LAN]?? Nope, not a peep. Which, for anyone who still uses LAN, is a bit of a head-scratcher. Especially when you've got Internet services listed. More on that later.

(A sigh, followed by a quick glance at the notes)

Cleanliness and Safety: The COVID-19 Era Reality Check

They claim to take this seriously. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas… all the buzzwords are there. Room sanitization opt-out available – a nice touch. I saw Hand sanitizer stations strategically placed, which is a plus. You expect it now. Rooms sanitized between stays? Hopefully. You know what did give me a little warm glow? The Staff trained in safety protocol. Felt reassuring to see.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Foodie’s Odyssey (or Maybe a Mild Excursion)

Alright, food. The Compasses Inn offers a fairly extensive list. Restaurants are plentiful, and if you're into variety, you're in luck. A la carte in restaurant, Asian cuisine in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western cuisine in restaurant… It’s a culinary melting pot, which, honestly, can be both exciting and a little…overwhelming?

I did make it to the Poolside bar, and let me tell you, that was pure bliss. Ordered a cheeky little drink and just… sat there. The weather was perfect, the view was (as promised!) amazing. It was the kind of moment where you think, "Yep, this is what life is about!" (Cue the overly dramatic music in my head). Seriously recommend it..

Okay, here's my big recommendation: the Breakfast buffet! And boy, did they deliver breakfast service! The Western breakfast was great.

Now, a word of caution – Sanitized kitchen and tableware items. Good and important to know.

Things to do, Ways to Relax: Spa Day Dreams and Fitness Center Fumbles

Ooooooooh, the spa. This is where I have some feelings. They have Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Body scrub, Body wrap… the list went on. I went for the Massage, expecting a blissful hour of kneading and relaxation. What I got was… well, let's say it was a firm massage. I'm not complaining. But it was more 're-align your vertebrae' than 'drift off to sleep'. Next time, I’m requesting the lightest touch possible.

Fitness center? They had one! I peeked inside. Honestly? Looked a little… neglected. Treadmill looked like it hadn't seen action in months. So, if you're a hardcore gym rat, maybe skip the gym at The Compasses Inn.

The Pool with view was the real star, though!

Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Really Matter

Air conditioning in public areas, Air conditioning in rooms – essential. Daily housekeeping (thank God!). Doorman, Concierge… all the things that make a hotel feel like a hotel! Invoice provided, the little things that make life easier are present. The terraces and outdoor venue for special events, again all winners.

A few things that stood out (in a good and a bad way):

  • Cashless payment service – brilliant. Modern and efficient.
  • Dry cleaning – always a bonus.
  • Food delivery – handy if you're feeling lazy.
  • Facilities for disabled guests – see my comments on accessibility!
  • Safe dining setup – a must.

For the Kids: Family-Friendly or Family-Slightly-Annoyed?

Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal… The Compasses Inn says it's family-friendly. I saw a few families, and the kids seemed to be having a blast. There are Kids facilities.

Available in All Rooms (The Essentials)

Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Satellite/cable channels, Seating area, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Wake-up service, Window that opens.

Let's be real, the room itself was pretty nice. Solid. Comfortable bed. Good Wi-Fi. The seating area was perfect for a cup of coffee after being outside for a bit.

Getting Around: The Logistics

Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking… You're covered! Plenty of options to get you where you need to go, whatever your mode of transport.

(A deep, introspective pause)

The Verdict: Is The Compasses Inn a "Hidden Gem"? (With a Few Caveats….)

Look, The Compasses Inn isn't perfect. It has its flaws. Some areas felt a little dated, and that spa experience… well, let's just say it was memorable. The "hidden" aspect might be a bit of an exaggeration – finding it isn't that hard, but it's also not slap-bang in the middle of everything. HOWEVER…

The Compasses Inn has HUGE potential. It's got a great location (once you find it!), the staff are generally lovely, and when it gets it right (the pool, the breakfast, the Wi-Fi!), it's fantastic.

My Recommendation: Book it! (But Here's the Deal…)

BEFORE YOU BOOK:

  • If accessibility is vital, call and confirm. Seriously. Don't take the website's word for it.
  • Specifically ask about the spa offerings. And, if you like a light touch, make it clear!
  • If you're a gym fanatic, maybe skip the fitness center.

But… do consider it. It's got something special.

Now, for the absolutely best part – the offer!

Tired of the cookie-cutter hotels? Craving an escape that's a little different? Then The Compasses Inn in Great Waltham is calling your name!

Here's Why You Should Book NOW:

  • Escape the Ordinary: This isn't just a hotel, it's an experience. From the stunning pool with a view to the eclectic dining options (yes, the Asian breakfast is awesome!), you'll find something to spark your interest.
  • Unwind and Recharge: (After that massage, of course!)
  • Free Wi-Fi, Because, Duh. Stay connected, share your adventures, and never miss a moment.
  • Special Offer: Book a stay of 2 nights or more during [Specific Dates or Period] and receive a complimentary welcome bottle of prosecco, a free upgrade if available, and enjoy a 15% discount on spa treatments!

Don't wait! This offer is for a limited time only! Visit [link to booking website] or call [phone number] today! Tell them [mention a promotional code or something specific to the review] to get your extra perks!

(Another deep breath, a triumphant grin)

There you have it. My honest, slightly messy, and hopefully helpful review of The Comp

Escape to Paradise: Vero Beach's Best-Kept Secret (Comfort Suites I-95)

Book Now

The Compasses Inn Great Waltham United Kingdom

The Compasses Inn Great Waltham United Kingdom

Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's pristine travel itinerary. This is…my attempt at a journey, a sprawling, possibly slightly disastrous, and definitely opinionated dive into the heart of Essex, starting with… The Compasses Inn, Great Waltham. Grab a pint (I'm already regretting not having one). Here we go:

Day 1: The Compasses Inn - Arrival and Utter Bliss (and Maybe Some Regret)

  • 14:00: Arrive at Stansted. The airport. Ugh. Let's just say I've had better meet-and-greets with the UK. The queue for immigration felt like a Lord of the Rings movie, except instead of elves and magic, it was weary travelers and the faint smell of airport coffee. Finally, freedom! Grab a taxi. "The Compasses Inn, Great Waltham, please!" I said, with a flourish that probably made the driver think I was a comedian.
  • 15:00: Check-in at The Compasses. Oh my god, it’s charming. Like, proper, postcard-worthy charming. Think thatched roof, low ceilings, roaring fire… and a distinct smell of… freshly baked bread? The staff are lovely, absolutely lovely, which immediately soothes the airport trauma. My room? Not exactly sprawling, but cozy and with a view of… are those sheep? Yes, sheep. I'm in freaking heaven.
  • 16:00 - 17:30: Settling in. Unpack, which mostly involves wrestling my suitcase into submission. Stare out the window at the sheep. Realize I've forgotten toothpaste. Panic briefly. Decide to embrace the rustic life and brush my teeth with… well, let's not go there. Consider asking the sheep for advice. I didn't.
  • 17:30 - 19:00: The Pub! Now, this is where things get interesting. Head down to the pub, take a seat by the fire. Order a pint of something local (Essex Ale, baby!). The pub is buzzing. Locals chatting, a dog the size of a small pony sprawled contentedly in front of the fire, the air thick with the scent of woodsmoke and… gravy? This is what I'm here for. This is the UK I dreamed of.
  • 19:00 - 21:00: Dinner. Now, I'm a self-proclaimed foodie, so I'd prepared for this. Ordered the Steak and Ale Pie. It arrives, steaming, with a mountain of mashed potatoes and… wait for it… gravy. Oh, sweet, delicious gravy. And the pastry? Flaky, buttery, magnificent. I ate like I hadn’t eaten in a week. Then, I ordered dessert, obviously. Sticky toffee pudding. I’m pretty sure I made audible happy noises.
  • 21:00 - 22:00: More pub. More locals. More ale. The conversation flows easily. I confess to forgetting my toothpaste. The locals find this highly amusing. I feel a warmth spreading through me, likely from the ale, and the sheer, unadulterated authenticity of the place. One of the locals, a guy named Dave, starts telling me stories about his prize-winning pumpkins. They were massive. I barely understand half of what he's saying, but I nod and smile and soak it all up. Bliss. Pure, unadulterated bliss.
  • 22:00: Bed. Stomach full, heart full, and possibly a little bit tipsy. This is how it’s meant to be, right? Wait… did I remember to set an alarm for tomorrow? Probably not.

Day 2: Exploring (Attempting To). And Remembering The Toothpaste.

  • 09:00-ish: Wake up feeling a little fuzzy. And, oh dear, the forgotten toothpaste situation rears its ugly head again. Must. Acquire. Toothpaste.
  • 10:00: Breakfast at The Compasses. Full English. The works. It’s a serious meal that would do the English proud. My poor stomach.
  • 10:30: Stumble out, armed with a vague plan to… explore. Where to go? The Essex countryside… the charming villages… The map is a blur. Okay… first, toothpaste.
  • 11:00-ish: Find a local convenience store. Toothpaste acquired! Victory is mine! (And while I'm at it, I grab some chocolates. A preemptive measure against future sugar cravings, or just because I can?).
  • 11:30 - 14:00: The wandering. I decide to head out on foot. The countryside is… well, it's England. Rolling hills, fields of green, quaint cottages. Suddenly, I encounter a very muddy path. My shoes, already not exactly pristine, quickly accumulate… mud. Deep, glorious mud. I walk past sheep. Look at the sky. Get lost. Embrace the absurdity of it all.
  • 14:00: Lunch at a local tea room. Quiche is on the menu. The tea is delicious. People are nice. I find myself staring at a woman knitting a very intricate sweater. And then… I realize I need to find dinner.
  • 15:00-17:00: Back to Great Waltham. Maybe I'll visit the church? Maybe I'll take a nap? Maybe I'll just sit in the pub. I did sit in the pub.
  • 19:00: Dinner at The Compasses again! I'm already a regular, apparently. This time: The Fish and Chips. It’s a feast. I may pass a small, slightly guilty smile at the woman from the church. My eyes meet hers. I raise my beer in a silent toast to a shared contentment.
  • 20:30: More pub fun. Discussing a particularly ridiculous local legend with a group of rambunctious regulars, including Dave and his pumpkin-winning stories. My vocabulary and understanding of the local accent improve slightly. I am now fully committed to Essex life.
  • 22:30: Bed. This time, I remember the alarm!

Day 3: The Compasses Inn - The Grand Farewell (and a Slight Hangover)

  • 09:00: Wake up. Realize I left my phone charging in the pub. Groan. The hangover is minor, thankfully.
  • 10:00: Breakfast.
  • 11:00: Pack. Sigh. Leaving is hard.
  • 11:30: Check out. Hug the staff, who are now practically family. Bid farewell to Dave and his pumpkins.
  • 12:00: Taxi to Stansted. The airport. Back to the real world. Ugh.
  • 12:00-15:00: The worst airport travel ever. My flight is delayed. The coffee is terrible. I miss the sheep. I miss the ale. I miss the gravy… I'm already planning my return.

Okay, so maybe I didn't do all the "sightseeing" I was "supposed" to. But I experienced life, real life, in a place that felt utterly, wonderfully, real. The Compasses Inn, Great Waltham. It wasn't just a hotel; it was an experience. And I loved every messy, imperfect, and delicious second of it. And next time? I'm packing extra toothpaste. And maybe a bigger suitcase for the sticky toffee pudding and the memories.

Rodeway Inn Jasper, TX: Your Texas Getaway Awaits!

Book Now

The Compasses Inn Great Waltham United Kingdom

The Compasses Inn Great Waltham United Kingdom

Uncover the Hidden Gem: The Compasses Inn - FAQs (And A Bit More!)

Is The Compasses Inn *really* a "hidden gem"? Because, honestly, I've heard that before...

Okay, okay, *that* phrase. Yeah, I know. "Hidden gem" gets thrown around more than a sweaty rugby ball. But seriously, with The Compasses? I genuinely think it fits. Great Waltham isn't exactly on the tourist trail, you know? And this place... well, it feels like it belongs in a postcard. The first time I went, I actually *missed* it. Drove right past, cursing my sat-nav (which, granted, is usually right), and had to U-turn. That feeling of stumbling upon it... pure gold. It sort of *feels* hidden because it's just... tucked away, you know? Doesn't scream for attention. Which is perfect, actually.

What's the food actually like? 'Cause "pub grub" can mean *anything.*

Alright, the food. This is where The Compasses *really* shines. Look, I’ve eaten a LOT of pub grub. From the downright dreadful to the… well, still pretty dreadful. But the Compasses? They've got the magic touch. It's proper, honest-to-goodness *food*. Think comfort food elevated. I've had the Sunday roast (Yorkshire puddings that defy gravity!), the fish and chips (perfect batter, flaky fish... actually feeling hungry just thinking about it), and those *sausages*. Oh. My. God. The sausages. They do specials, too, and they're always worth a punt. One time, they had venison stew… I swear, I almost licked the bowl. (Okay, maybe I did. Don't judge me.) The portion sizes are generous, which is crucial, because let's be honest, pub food should fill you up! And you can tell they actually *care*. It's not just churned out and chucked at you. You can feel the love. Seriously. *Maybe* a tiny bit overpriced, but in this case, it's worth it.

Is it dog-friendly? Because my furry best friend is practically family.

YES! Oh, *thank goodness*. The Compasses welcomes furry friends with open arms. They even have dog biscuits! (My dog, bless his simple heart, practically begs to go there now.) I've seen all sorts of dogs in there over the years - big ones, small ones, fluffy ones, everything in between. And the staff are always utterly lovely to them, which is a massive plus in my book. Plus, there's a decent outdoor area, perfect for letting the pooch stretch their legs. Consider this a huge win. Definitely a big thumbs up for dog lovers. Actually, I saw a really stressed-out looking guy there once, clearly going through something awful, and just petting a golden retriever that was sat next to his feet. It seemed to visibly calm him. It's those kinds of places, y'know? They just *feel* right.

What about the beer? Is it a good selection? Or just the usual bland suspects?

Okay, the beer. Now we're talking. I'm not a beer snob, not by a long shot. But I appreciate a decent pint. And The Compasses delivers. They usually have a few real ales on tap, which is always a good sign. Plus, they often have guest beers, so there's always something new to try. They rotate them, so it's not always the same old, same old. They have lagers, too, of course, and your usual suspects. But the focus is definitely on quality. I once had a stout there that was… *chef's kiss*. Perfect. Honestly, I'd go back just for the beer. (And the sausages. And the atmosphere. Okay, I'd just go back.) Yeah, the beer's good. Really good."

What's the atmosphere like? Is it a bit… cliquey? Or welcoming to newcomers?

The atmosphere. This is the *thing* about The Compasses. It's not about the fancy decor or the loud music (which, thankfully, they keep to a minimum... thank god). It's about the *vibe*. It's genuinely welcoming. Like, properly, genuinely welcoming. I’ve gone in on my own loads of times (and I can be a right grumpy old git, to be honest), and I’ve never felt out of place. There's a real mix of people. Locals, families, couples, people with dogs (see above!). It's not a "trendy" pub. It's not trying to be anything it's not. It's just… a pub. A *good* pub. It’s the kind of place you can chat with the bar staff, or just happily sit in a corner and read a book. Or, erm, watch the rugby. (Don’t tell my wife I admitted that.) There's a fireplace in winter, which is pure heaven. And in summer, the garden is a proper sun trap. And the staff... they're brilliant. Always friendly, always helpful. Never had a bad experience yet. And believe me, I'm picky. Honestly, whoever's running this place, they've nailed it. They've created a space that feels… well, like home. You know? (Okay, maybe not *your* home, but you get what I mean.)

So, I'm planning a trip. Should I book a table?

YES. Absolutely, *definitely* book a table, especially if you're going on a weekend or for a Sunday roast. I learned this the hard way. Once, my wife and I turned up, ravenous, on a Sunday afternoon without a reservation... utterly convinced we'd be fine. Big mistake. Big. Huge. We were forced to eat at *that* [insert name of terrible chain pub], not the ideal scenario, right? We had to sit there, absolutely seething, while we listened to other people *inside* eating their roast dinners. The aroma of the meat was torturous. And every time someone walked past, carrying a plate of food, I nearly lost my mind. So, yeah, book. Do it. Don't be like us. Learn from our mistake. Call them. Now.

Any downsides? Anything I should know *before* I go?

Hmm... downsides. Right. Okay... it *can* get busy. (See above, about booking.) Parking can be a bit tricky, especially on a sunny day. The road is narrow, so patience is a virtue. And, I suppose, it's not exactly cheap. You're paying a premium for quality, though, and I think it's worth it. But the biggest "downside"? You'll have to leave. Eventually. And you'll probably want to go back *right away*. Seriously, the food is incredibly tempting. The beer is dangerously good. You'll find yourself plotting yourMountain Stay

The Compasses Inn Great Waltham United Kingdom

The Compasses Inn Great Waltham United Kingdom

The Compasses Inn Great Waltham United Kingdom

The Compasses Inn Great Waltham United Kingdom